Saturday, June 18, 2011

Our World of Plastics- a funny story

So the other day Peter warned Christian before he went to bed, "You'd better watch out- you're going to get a surprise tonight! This normally means we'll find a plastic dinosaur or stuffed dog or something like that under our pillow (this is a tradition my family had growing up- sneaking a plastic frog under other peoples' pillows- I highly recommend the tradition- makes up for not doing the tooth fairy, right?  :) ). Christian, however, forgot the warning. The next morning, bright and early, acting slightly giddy, Peter skipped into our room and asked Christian how he liked his surprise. C admitted he forgot and promptly lifted his pillow, revealing a dead stink bug. Peter, giggling, blurted out, "Anne and I found a plastic stink bug in the backyard!!!" I, marvelously suppressing a shriek, informed him that it was indeed a real stink bug. He had a good cackle over it anyway once he realized he wasn't in trouble. :)
On other fronts, as in all fronts, God is good. I've pretty much been dreading potty training the twins since, well, before they were born. Probably within the first couple hours after finding out we were having twins. A month or so ago, Berea started adamantly objecting to wearing a diaper. I, dreading potty training, just as adamantly forced her to wear the diapers. I vacillated back and forth for a few weeks over when to take the big plunge- before Christian's big trip? Before our Zion trip in August? Heck, why not just wait until next Summer! Well, I decided to give them a trial run of just one day, fully expecting to be ready to throw in the towel. So, just about every day since then I've been waiting for them to completely rebel and decide they hate the whole thing, giving me an excuse to give up. But they've been SO amazing (just like they were AMAZING sleepers as newborns). I just leave them undressed from the waist down and by golly, when they need to go, they sit on the little potties and go! Not that they're perfect, but we've had remarkably few accidents. It makes me SO glad that I have twins when I find them cheering each other on- "Yay, Tissah! Poo poo!!! (clap clap clap)". Often one will sit down and the other will decide she should get to do it, too. It also helps that all five kiddos get a gummy bear with any accomplishment- that way we're all the same team! :)

3 comments:

  1. I love hearing about your life! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne told me that stink bug story in Sunday school (we've been going through the creation story and had gotten to "creatures that crawl along the ground," so it was relevant). I didn't know it was so recent! Goofy kids. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good stuff! I'm so glad I have a few minutes to catch up on your blog. I've missed it! Interesting about the potty training. I like the cheering each other on part. E has started to report, "Poopin'" when she's about to go. Not consistently yet, but it's so cute :) We will be starting P.T. sometime after we move (August) and get settled in to the new place (a 2-bedroom, thank God!).

    ReplyDelete