Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Processing



Having my own 6 year old, this shooting in Connecticut has really hit me hard. Telling my kids why I was crying was difficult. Elijah seemed the most affected- he joined me in the tears and asked if we could pray for the families right away. Christian very wisely reminded us later that this isn't the end of the story- that one day this evil will be judged, and that TODAY we can have hope- because Jesus did come and He will come again. While we may grieve with these families so far away, it is still right for us to have joy in this season. And yes, I am definitely hugging my littles extra hard these days. The following Christmas songs have been a comfort to me...

O come, Thou Dayspring, come and cheer our spirits by thine advent here;
Disperse the gloomy clouds of night, and death's dark shadows put to flight.

O come, Thou Wisdom, from on high, and order all things, far and nigh;
To us the path of knowledge show, and cause us in her ways to go.

O come, Desire of nations, bind in one the hearts of all mankind;
Bid Thou our sad divisions cease, and be Thyself our King of peace.

                                                                                         

I heard the bells on Christmas day, their old familiar carols play.
And wild and sweet, the words repeat of peace on earth, goodwill to men.

I thought how, as the day had come, the belfries of all Christendom
Had rolled along the unbroken song of peace on earth, goodwill to men.

And in despair I bowed my head, "There is no peace on earth," I said,
"For hate is strong and mocks the song of peace on earth, goodwill to men."

Then pealed the bells, more loud and deep "God is not dead, nor doth He sleep-
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail with peace on earth, goodwill to men!"

1 comment: