Willy Wishes on a Star
Anne’s Modernized Fables
Willy was a
robin, as he was meant to be
And
as a robin he could sing; and he did so beautifully
But
Willy didn’t wanna sing; he thought it sissy stuff
And
so he told his Momma Bird “Momma, I’ve had enough.”
Momma
Bird said “Son, you are a robin! You were meant to sing!
The One
who chooses who you are isn’t you, but the King!”
Willy
replied “Momma, I’ve decided to be free.
I’ve
got a dream in my heart as clear as it could be!
“And
what’s your dream, silly bird?” Momma scratched her head
Willy
puffed himself up with pride “I’m gonna be a football star instead!”
“WHAT?!?” Momma Bird squawked “You weren’t made to toss a ball!!
Son,
you’ll get killed or hurt if not at all!!”
“But,”
Momma sighed “If that’s your dream, go ahead and see.
Soon you’ll know that it’s a robin you were meant to be.”
Willy
grinned “I know I can do it! I wished on a star!
And since I believe in myself I know I’ll go far!”
With that Willy flew off, his dream
clear in his head
Still
believing he wasn’t to sing, and to be a quarterback instead.
He flew into the stadium chirping happily
He
thought to himself “Now THIS is who I’m meant to be!”
Willy
returned to Momma, with a bandage ‘round his head
A
skinny leg was in a splint and dragged around like lead.
Momma
grinned “I’m sorry, son. But now do you see?
A robin is who you are. Who you were made to
be.”
But Willy
wouldn’t listen. “Guess what, Momma? While I was in bed
Another
dream floated by and went into my head!”
Momma
moaned “Willy, bird, this doesn’t sound too good!
Why don’t
you sing those songs again like you always could?”
Willy
ignored her and proclaimed “I wished on ANOTHER star!!
And now I
know I’m meant to be a comedian with a guitar!!!”
Momma sighed
“I know the King will soon show you your path.
So go
ahead and tell those jokes. Make the people laugh.”
Willy
flew away with a guitar slung ‘round his chest
“The star
will help me this time!” he thought “I’m gonna be the best!”
He flew
into a concert hall strumming cheerfully
“Now THIS, I
know, is who I’m REALLY meant to be!”
Willy
returned to Momma splattered from head to toe
With lots of
veggies popcorn and fruit and a smelly tomato
“All I did,”
he bemoaned “was tell the one about the tree!”
Momma smiled
“So now you know a robin is who you’re made to be?”
Willy
almost knew, but not yet quite
“I,” he
announced with glee “have a dream to bull fight!!”
Momma took
her little bird and put him on her knee
“Son,” she
said “That is not what you were made to be.”
“Stars are
alright, but they don’t fulfill your dreams.
And the King
just doesn’t want you to be a comedian, it seems.
He made
you a robin, though you don’t know why
And robins
were meant to sing and to fly!”
“So if the
King made you a robin, then a robin you’ll be!
Be the
best at what you are and soon you’ll see
That the
King knew what He was doing, making you a bird
And that
trying to be something else was absurd.”
So Willy
stopped trying to go his own way
He sang
more beautifully than any bird that day
His voice
rang out over every mountain, and every tree
“I finally
know that THIS is who I’m made to be!!”
The
moral of the story is pretty clear, y’know
If you’ve
got any doubt, then I’ll tell you so.
It’s
pointless struggling against who God made you to be..
And NEVER
tell the joke, the one about the tree.
THE END.
That's just the most awesome thing I've read!
ReplyDelete