Friday, May 14, 2010
Managing
A lot of people have asked me in the last few months "How DO you manage?" I've been thinking about that and I've remembered something a friend of mine told me once upon a time..."When you have a baby they take up 24 hours of your day. When you have another baby, they take up 24 hours of your day..." (I guess I could just keep on going, but I'll spare you) Fortunately needs change- I'd definitely hate to still be changing diapers and spoon feeding my 8, 5, and 3 year olds at the same time as the twins. First and foremost though, is the grace of God in working in my children's lives even when I fail on a regular basis. I don't often feel like I'm pulling my hair out (except maybe at bath time...and certain times of the month...). I stay home. All the time (with the exception of Sundays). THIS is my job. We're not involved in sports, we don't even do Awana. We do school, we learn how to take care of our house and possessions, we learn how to do things we don't feel like doing, we learn how to get along with each other. I don't sweep every day. I don't clean the bathroom every day, I don't even do the dishes every day. But that's ok. My kids are fed and they go to bed happy. I am very grateful for the wisdom of my husband in keeping things simple for us right now. Someday we'll probably get more involved in things and I'll miss this period of time of just getting to stay home and live and learn. I have a friend who now has 10 kids in a pretty small house- and you know what? She always looks so calm and so happy with her life. I also have friends with fewer kids that are way busier and more stressed than I am. Anyway, the babies are chewing on some "unknown" from the kitchen floor, so I'd better go investigate. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Good for you guys! Staying (really staying) at home is lost art. Lauris Gustafson told Shirley and I that she separated from her friendship with mom because she was too busy doing things outside the home. That was 50 years ago! I think we forget we have the choice NOT to do everything. So many good things to choose from these days. You are doing the most important thing!
ReplyDeleteThanks, A. Ginny, it definitely seems like I'm in the minority these days! I'll enjoy it while I can. :)
ReplyDelete