Thursday, August 5, 2010
Being a Voice
So I was talking to Laura today and she said I should put this on my blog- maybe encourage other people to do the same... Lately (now that I'm actually running my own errands more often) I've been becoming more frustrated with the magazines in the check out lane at the grocery store. I don't think my kids have really paid attention to all the cleavage and skin YET, but they have started reading the headlines now that they know how to read. Do I really want them to be reading "20 Ways to Great Sex"? Or even "Lose 10 lbs in 10 Days" or reading headlines about cheating celebrities? I don't think so. Anyway. I do most of my shopping at Fry's (Kroger). The last time I wrote them about their in-the-face Halloween display, they listened to me and moved it more out of the way, so I thought I'd give it another try. So I e-mailed their customer service, suggesting they either move those magazines to a different part of the store or have a family friendly aisle that doesn't include those kinds of magazines. A couple days later I received a phone call from customer service saying that they were sending my comments to the next level up. A few days after that, I received a phone call from the manager of our local store who said he thought that they probably couldn't completely move the magazines to a different part of the store, but that he would pursue being able to set up a family-friendly aisle. We'll see what happens! Hopefully it'll happen- maybe if more people spoke up they (and other stores) would be more willing to do something about it! Statistics show that 50% of even Christian men view porn on a regular basis, and a lot of those habits start by a "harmless" view as young boys. Let's not make things more difficult than they need to be for those guys.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Good for you for speaking up. And hey, you could pitch it to Fry's as a chance to put more candy and small toys on the aisle instead of the magazines...more profit for them! Now, could you please call the mall and ask them to move Victoria's Secret and Spencer's? Thanks.
ReplyDeleteYou're my hero!
ReplyDeleteSometimes I take off my glasses at the checkout line. Using my God-given nearsightedness. :)
ReplyDeleteHahaha, that's great Andy. :) You're the man. Kaci, I vaguely remember writing Victoria's Secret once upon a time. Didn't seem to do much, did it? Laura, we'll just see what antics you start when you have a little boy. :)
ReplyDeleteOur Fred Meyers (Kroger) set up a Famioly Friendly check-out isle a couple of years ago...... very appreciated! I get sick of seeing all that stupidity myself, so opt for that isle.
ReplyDeleteThat is a great idea! I'll have to do the same thing!
ReplyDeleteThat last anonymous comment was mine :) ~Cora
ReplyDelete