Thursday, July 26, 2012

quick update

I didn't take the goats to the vet after all. Nellie's neck bump has gone down and I'm about 99% sure that it's related to an injury- while trying to milk her yesterday morning she stepped off the edge of her milk stand while her head was still locked in. Christian has since put sides on it so that won't happen again. Being a 1st- time milkmaid with a 1st-time milker is pretty messy business- physically and emotionally!
Baby Molly seems to be doing much better today, though definitely not all the way "normal". Yesterday she was rolling her head around constantly and unable to walk very far, let alone scamper. Her eyes looked swollen and excessively glazed. Today I have seen no head rolling, she walking more and has tried keeping up with Bilbo and Lolly, though she really can't. But she's trying, and that gives me hope. Yesterday I was wondering if we would have to put her down. Today, I'm fairly certain that at least she's going to survive. Only time will tell if damages were permanent.
Today we got rid of Blacko the rooster! While he wasn't showing any aggression towards us humans, he was definitely stressing out the hens and pulling out their neck feathers trying to mount them. While it would've been cute to try to hatch our own chicks, it's just not worth it. And Christian was very kind and let me find him a new home that wasn't our crockpot. :) Farewell Blacko and may your new home be a patient one.

No comments:

Post a Comment