Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Birth of a Chicken

Ok, so cool. I just got to witness the birth of a chick! This morning I checked on Miss Broody and found one beautiful chick hiding under her! I noticed another chick was working on coming out as well. I'm not sure about the 3rd egg (all the rest didn't grow in the first place). It's awfully hard to get under that hen to see what she's got, but here are a few pictures I finagled...

 You can tell she's really been dedicated at setting on these eggs- her comb and wattle are normally bright red, but setting for over three weeks with hardly any food or water has had an effect. You can see an egg shell in front of her from the first chick.

 This is what she does when I touch her... talk about ruffling some feathers!

As soon as I lifted her up a little, this little guy just popped right of the egg! It reminded me so much of any other birth- so cool!
I was a little worried that he was dead, as he was barely moving, but before I left he was moving around as mama hen was tucking him back under herself.



As soon as little brother was safely tucked away, the first chick popped out. This one's already fluffy and quite alert.
There may or may not be a third chick under there, time will tell!

In other poultry news, Willy Wonka has probably broken a leg. The jury is still out as to what to do with him... For now he's in a kennel resting with food and water.

1 comment:

  1. There was a third little chick, but he ended up having birth defects and didn't survive. So sad!

    ReplyDelete