Monday, May 17, 2010

Of monsters, gardens and patios

I can take pretty much absolutely no credit for any of these, except maybe a small part of the craziness my children exhibit... Anyway, the garden (normally under a plastic sheet) was an idea C. got from an 80's video about gardening. We have lettuce and spinach in great abundance right now and lots of huge white radishes...that taste very much like dirt. The radishes, not the lettuce and spinach. We'll see what becomes of our next crop, since the grasshoppers are just now starting to show their wee beady eyes (I disliked grasshoppers even before gardening, but now....I think "hate" might be pretty accurate). Christian pretty much does all the hard work while I just get to eat out of the abundance. It's a great set-up. :) And of course the last picture is of the new patio- on which we've been enjoying the fire pit on evenings that aren't threatening to blow us away. It's so nice to have something between the dirt and the house- I've noticed a lot fewer rocks getting tracked in! Huzzah!

2 comments:

  1. The patio looks great, and the garden is esp exciting for your area. With a family of little kids/monsters :) it is really a blessing to have a nice backyard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the radishes tasting like dirt. Ransom will love them...

    You need to buy some chickens to eat the grasshoppers. They make good compost, too. As in make, not become.

    ReplyDelete