Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The Great Chicken Harvest

Sorry, there aren't very graphic pictures forthcoming. I know you're disappointed. But other than some canning of broth, we're done!!! Our first ever chicken harvest! :) I won't say "annual" because I'm not sure it's really worth it, but it was, nonetheless, quite an experience. Lesson #1: get more help in the kitchen- it's a lot more time-consuming than the killing/cleaning. Oy. Without further ado, here are some pics. 


 5:30am breakfast of homemade frozen (toasted) waffles. Crazy kids. I would've slept in, if I was allowed. :)


 Setting up


 Amazing Blake came and helped for a couple hours even though he was flying out of state later on in the morning!


 Peter was quite a man today and I think even dispatched a couple birds on his own!
He regretted wearing those sandals.

 Only a couple minor casualties. I got a little excited when I finally found my way through the wing joint easily. I am now a pro. ;)


 
 Slight change of subject, we also harvested our first batch of onions yesterday!


A stocked freezer! Yes, I know you're ALL telling me that I'm supposed to refrigerate it for a day or two before freezing, but we don't have the space for that. So, oh well.


Two of the three full pots cooking chicken broth!
In case you're wondering, we're grilling hot dogs for dinner.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your first successful "harvest." That's a much nicer word than "butchering." Peter is awesome, I think I would've been very grossed out.

    ReplyDelete